To those who go abroad as a traveler
Anyone admitted as a traveler through an interview can go abroad as a Servas traveler. Please understand SERVAS is not a hotel system but an international friendship organization. Therefore, it is important to understand the purpose, history, and voluntarism before you join us. When you make a plan to experience a SERVAS trip abroad, it is a matter of course to read the pamphlet.
Procedures to take prior to go abroad
- If you want to go abroad as a traveler, you are required to be a host member or a traveler member. For admission, please read "the Web page."
- Please contact your regional secretary and tell him/her that you want to go abroad as a traveler. The regional secretary will soon answer you by return mail.
Please fill out the form
"Letter-of-Introduction"(LOI） and send it to the regional secretary.
You are required to undergo an interview with the secretary.
Then you will be judged if you are provided with suitable conditions like understanding
the purpose of SERVAS, your object for traveling, and your language skill,
* A person- to- person interview is made for admission.
* It usually takes about 2 or 3 months before you are judged to be a Servas traveler.
- Things to do after you are admitted as a SERVAS traveler:
- You are supposed to remit admission fee and certifying fee. (Refer to "5. A membership fee and an LOI" in the web page
- You can select hosts from the list after you receive it.
- You have to send a letter or an E-mail to the host(s) of your choice to make sure if the host(s) will be able to accept you.
- You can fix the dates of your trip after you receive an answer of approval from the host(s).
- You have to carry your LOI during your trip abroad and take every care not to lose it.
Please do not forget!
- If you want to make a SERVAS trip abroad, you are required to undergo an interview with your regional secretary and go through a couple of steps before you are finally admitted as a traveler. It takes about 2 or 3 months, so please understand and put aside ample time.
- SERVAS is not a hotel system. Its object is to visit a foreign host's home, spend time with them as a family member, deepen understanding through talking with them, and practice international exchange. Therefore, if you do not agree to this idea, you will not be judged as a SERVAS traveler.
- If you want to experience an overseas trip as a SERVAS traveler, contact your regional secretary and undergo an interview with him/her. After you are admitted as a traveler, start your preparations like contacting the host(s) of the country you wish to visit.
Documents needed for a SERVAS traveler
- LOI( Letter of Introduction ) to certify your identity as a SERVAS traveler
Matters that require attention
- You are not allowed to show the host list to anyone else.
- The host list you borrow from the regional secretary has to be returned as soon as possible.
- You have to contact your host family promptly in case your schedule is changed or canceled.
- When you arrive at the host family's house, show your LOI without failure.
- You are required to send a letter of thanks to the host family you have stayed with.
- When you return from your trip, you ought to send your report to your regional secretary as soon as possible. ( RSJ: Report to SERVAS JAPAN )
- After you return from your trip abroad, you are expected to help and cooperate for SERVAS activities positively.
- LOI is valid for one year after the date of issuance.